“I Look Forward To Hearing From You” And Other Ways To Say It
When you write a letter or an email to other people, there are several ways you can use to end the letter or the email. In general, you should express your wish to have the reply from the people you write the letter or the email to. “I look forward to hearing from you” is one of the most common expresses that you can use to express your anticipation.
Nevertheless, there are dozens of ways which you can use to say the same thing. Scroll down for more information on “I look forward to hearing from you” and its alternative expressions.
I look forward to hearing from you.
When to use this phrase:
- This sentence, or this phrase, is used at the end of a letter or an email.
- It is seen in business-related context.
- It is also used when you write a letter or an email to someone that you don’t really know well.
- You can use this phrase for a formal letter. For a less formal letter, you can use “I am looking forward to hearing from you”.
- This sentence means that you are waiting or hope to hear back from the person that you are writing the letter or email to. In case you want other actions from the person whom you write the letter to, just simply replace the word “hearing”. You can also use “I look forward to seeing you”. Alternatively, you can use “I look forward to meeting you” when you expect a meeting that is about to happen in the future.
- The overall feel of this phrase is that the writer is polite, but also confident while he aims to put responsibility of responding to the person whom he writes to.
Here are some cases which you can use this sentence:
- When you write to your potential customer or client.
- When you write a cover letter in order to apply for a position.
- When you write to your boss.
Other things to remember:
- “I look forward to hearing from you” is much more formal than “I am looking forward to hearing from you”. The latter expression, on the other hand, sounds friendlier.
- Please note that after the word “to”, the form of the verb “hear” is “hearing”. The common structure is V to V. However, in this case, the word “to” acts as a preposition. After any proposition, a noun or a verb in the gerund form needs to be used.
Last but not least, here are some other ways to say “I look forward to hearing from you”
As I mention above, the sentence “I look forward to hearing from you” is quite formal in comparison with the sentence “I am looking forward to hearing from you”. That is the reason why you should use other formal term if you are seeking for alternative sentences of “I look forward to hearing from you”. Here are other ways for expressing your anticipation of hearing back from other people.
- I (fondly) anticipate your reply. A less formal expression is “I’m fondly/ eagerly anticipating your reply.
- Your reply will be (highly/ greatly) anticipated by me.
- I thank you in advance for your (speedy/ prompt) reply/ response.
- I await the opportunity to hear from you soon/ the opportunity to receive your reply/ response soon.
- I await your reply/ feedback/ response (with great expectation/ anticipation)
- I have high expectations/ anticipations of hearing from your soon/ receiving your response/ reply.
- I hope to hear from you soon. This expression is less formal than other sentences and expressions that I have mentioned above.
In case you are looking for some other expressions which is less formal, take a look at this list below
- I (simply) can’t wait to hear from you soon/ receive your reply soon/ get your response soon.
- I am excited to hear from you (soon).
- Please drop me a line soon.
Here are all you need to know about the expression of “I look forward to hearing from you”. In general, this phrase should be used in a formal or a business letter. You might not know the person well when you write with this phrase. The more informal form of this expression is “I am looking forward to hearing from you” There are also other phrases and sentences that you can use in instead of that common sentence. I hope that with all of the information above, you would be able to write better letters. Especially when you write to your potential customers of employers, a letter with no grammatical mistakes will surely increase your chance to hearing back from them.